Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Enough is enough...

OK, so this will be my last post on politics, I promise. My stomach can't take the stress - between the book and my family life, I've got far more than enough shit to worry about, and I suspect that nobody comes around here to listen to my views on policy or the candidates.

Andrew Sullivan put up a freshly re-confirmed list of Sarah Palin's many lies today - read them all, with extensive links back to the corroborating sources HERE.

Honestly, the question in my mind now is not "why did she lie?" - that's obvious. She wants the power of the position and will do anything she needs to do to get it. I think she really believes that she will be doing good by keeping the Republicans in the White House, I really do, even as I'm terrified about what it says about her that she feels the best way to maintain that power is by bald-faced lies. That's a good enough moral position, Sarah? Really?

I'm also amazed on a daily basis that she chose to lie about things so easily fact-checked, and then continues to lie even when faced with her own deceptions. Keepin mind: I write bad guys that have to jump through a forest of hoops in order to mentally justify their own evil deeds for a living, and even to me Palin seems totally whacked (and I don't mean that as a compliment). Honestly, I don't know if I could convincingly write a villain as mentally screwed up as Palin seems to be. "The only difference between truth and fiction," I once read "is that fiction has to make sense". This proves that theory.

After all this, my real question is: what the hell is wrong with the American voter that they tolerate this? My good friend Dave said the most illuminating thing about Palin that I've ever heard. He said:

"The choice of Palin allows conservatives to feel better about a choice they've already made." Thereby, I assume, goading them to go out and vote, something they might not have done just for McCain.

Do we really as a nation have so little self-respect that we can stomach to turn a blind eye to this? Have we really become a nation of people so afraid of the future that we can glibly ignore the blatant disrespect for the American people shown by Palin and the McCain campaign?

Enough is enough. Vote this Republican ticket down, on pure moral outrage if nothing else. the fact that Obama seems to have a much better handle on what needs to be done, has a seemingly better and more "Presidential" temperament and is actually, you know, a unifying force for millions of Americans is just gravy at this point.

.

No comments: