Friday, September 7, 2007

Lessons Learned

A friend of mine just mailed me a link to a very funny (and true) article over on Cherie Priest's Livejournal site titled "Things I've Learned Since My First Book Got Published". Since the Blood Magic has not yet appeared on store shelves, I haven't seen all of these happen to me personally, but I've already experienced a few of these firsthand, and the rest have a particular ring of truth, particularly this pair:

=====================

Everyone will think you are rich. Obviously, if you got a book published, someone must have given you fat sacks of cash dollars American. You now have a moral obligation to donate to charities, give to your alma mater, and consider including PBS in your will.

You will not be rich. Whatever money you might have earned from an advance will have been spent fully a year before your book appears. Maybe you paid off your car, or maybe you got that leather jacket out of lay-away at Wilson's. Whatever, that money is LONG gone.

No comments: