Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fatty Fatty Fat Fat (UPDATE)



Back in October I posted THIS regarding my fears about my 16-year old daughter's body images.

Well, seems as if we've come full circle - now models and actresses are turning up for photo shoots looking too thin. Cue the latest PR photo enhancement craze: reverse airbrushing.

Quote:

Nicky Eaton, head of PR at Condé Nast (which publishes Vogue, GQ, and Glamour) has confirmed that images of models are enhanced to make them appear fuller-figured:

"There have been cases where models are booked way ahead of a shoot and then they turn up two months later looking less healthy and perhaps a bit underweight. We wouldn't be happy showing them that way, so it is then that we would need that person to look a little bit fuller."

Hmmmmm... so you make women neurotic to the point of borderline starvation (all while selling them useless ad-filled glossy pieces of ephemera like Glamour let's not forget) and then, when your models show up in a perfect size -2 or a designer infant onesie or whatever, you're still not fucking satisfied? I'm sorry but I call douchbaggery.

You know... I used to poke fun at the concept of "destructive, negative body image" and all that navel-gazing BS (despite my own blind spot about my own weight - I know I'm a hypocrite sometimes), but this is just... well... Evil. Sorry ladies - color me abashed.

I say we hunt down the Nicky Eatons of the world, hold them down and force-feed them Twinkies and Ding Dongs until they explode, a la Se7en. That'll show 'em.

Personal appeal to the ladies: Keep your curves. Don't let this marketing bullshit brainwash you - this shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that no matter what you do, you'll never be "perfect enough" for these people, and no matter how hard you try, someone, somewhere is trying to figure out a way to make you feel like a worthless piece of crap all in the name of selling you something you didn't need in the first place.

As a man who quite honestly prefers a woman with a few curves (as well as hollows, I'll admit), I'm here to tell you that there are plenty of men out there - good, lusty, strapping men - who like a woman that looks like a woman and not a 9-year old boy in a Feed The Children ad.

No comments: