Friday, June 6, 2008

I (Heart) Wil Wheaton

I like Wil Wheaton's blog site... He just seems like a guy I'd like to sit and chat with, and not (just) because he was on ST:TNG.

In THIS POST, he talks about a book creating a bridge with his teen-aged son. It's a solid, human peice like all his work, but as a parent, this line really nailed it for me:

I don't know what it's like for other parents of teenagers out there, but getting Nolan to pick up a book for more than three pages has been nearly impossible for the last eighteen months or so. He used to love reading, but . . . well, there are new friends at school this year. 'nuff said.

I don't have scientific data to back me up, but I've anecdotally witnessed a direct relationship between someone's willingness to read and their level of education, success, expectations for themselves, and general, uh, interestingness they bring to the table. I guess that makes me one of those "elitists" we keep hearing about, but with that in mind, you may understand why it's been pretty damn important to me that I instill a love of reading in my kids. (Emphasis mine)

No comments: