Monday, June 9, 2008

Another first - I just volunteered for the Obama campaign.

Wow... I just filled out a volunteer form for the Obama campaign.

This is a first for me - while I've always considered myself more involved than the usual person and always made a point to vote, this is the first time in my 40 years of life that I've actually been excited about the process. I really think that whoever wins, this is going to be an election against which many, many others are measured. Assuming, of course, that the two main candidates can resist the almost black hole-like gravity of their respective parties and can manage to conduct truly debate-driven campaigns. Here's to hoping that they will.

Wish me luck - I have no idea what to expect from this. My mental picture is of hordes of bustling teen-aged volunteers, most of all of which will make me feel like a dinosaur. Hopefully that won't be the case, and even if it is, well, so what? Nothing wrong with a little old-fashioned idealism. I used to have lots of it - maybe I can get some back.

No comments: